AbentaCart is an open source eCommerce CMS (content management system), so if you want to create an online outlet where you can sell your products then this post is for you, the best part is that you don’t need any prior programming skills to build a small web presence using it.
This guide will present a step by step tutorial on how to install AbentaCart on OpenShift, the only skill you’ll need during the tutorial is your ability to use a web browser.
- A free OpenShift account, visit OpenShift website and register using your email, no credit card is required.
- After registering; go to OpenShift home page and click on the “MY APPS” on the top of the screen.
- You’ll be directed to your login window and enter your credentials, you’ll be directed to a new window click on the blue “Create your first application now” link.
- You’ll be directed to a window, type “PHP, MySQL” in the search field, and select the application shown below in the screenshot.
- You’ll be directed to a new window, in the public URL; type the name of the project/application name (e.g. MyBlog, MyAwesomeWebsite, etc.) in the first space and the domain name (it’s not your real domain name, just any identification name e.g. NickName, YourName) in the second space.
- Under the public URL, there’san empty field, just copy and paste the following link “https://github.com/abantecart/abantecart-src.git”
- Leave everything as is and click on “Create Application” tab at the end of the page.
- You shall be directed to a new window where you shall find all of your “MySQL” credentials.
- You’ll be directed to the main window, and it’s time to go to your “portal” and start the installation process, to do that simply click on the blue link at the top of the screen (that’s your URL).
- You’ll be directed to the “AbentaCart” installation window, in the first window, you’ll have to accept the ToS/EULA then hit the “Continue” tab.
- In this step, the installation will check for the prerequisites, just click on the “Continue” tab.
- The following step of the installation process could be divided into two parts, in the first part, you should enter your database credentials which you can get from step 7.
- In that window, you should provide your database credentials, there’s a small trick here which is getting your database “Host Server”, the easiest way to do so is to return to your application (step 8) and click on the small arrow at the phpMyAdmin tab.
- A new window will pop-up, copy the number shown in the screenshot below.
- Paste that number in the database host field in the AbentaCart installation, then in the second part of this step just enter your admin username, password, and email then hit the “Continue” tab.
- In the final step, you’ll be prompted by a message informing you that the installation has successfully completed and the option either log into your installation frontend or admin panel.
Finally, you’ll be directed to your store main page.
Congratulations, now, you have a fully functional AbentaCart store running for free on OpenShift.