LimeSurvey is a free and open source survey system, so if you want to survey your employees or your customers you can rely on that free web application for that, the best part is that you don’t need any prior programming skills to start using it.
This guide will present a step by step tutorial on how to install LimeSurvey on OpenShift, the only skill you’ll need during the tutorial is your ability to use a web browser.
- A free OpenShift account, visit OpenShift website and register using your email, no credit card is required.
- After registering; go to OpenShift home page and click on the “MY APPS” on the top of the screen.
- You’ll be directed to your login window and enter your credentials, you’ll be directed to a new window click on the blue “Create your first application now” link.
- You’ll be directed to a window, type “PHP, MySQL” in the search field, and select the application shown below in the screenshot.
- You’ll be directed to a new window, in the public URL; type the name of the project/application name (e.g. MyBlog, MyAwesomeWebsite, etc.) in the first space and the domain name (it’s not your real domain name, just any identification name e.g. NickName, YourName) in the second space.
- Under the public URL, there’s the source code slot, just copy and paste the following link “https://github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey.git”
- Leave everything as it’s and click on “Create Application” tab at the end of the page.
- You shall be directed to a new window where you shall find all of your “MySQL” credentials.
- You’ll be directed to the main window, and it’s time to go to your “portal” and start the installation process, to do that simply click on the blue link at the top of the screen (that’s your URL).
- You’ll be directed to the “LimeSurvey” installation window, in the first window, you select the language and click on the “Start Installation” tab.
- In this step of the installation wizard, you’ll have to agree to the EULA and then hit the “Next” tab.
- In this step of the installation wizard, the installation will check for the prerequisites.
- You’ll be directed to the next window, where you should enter some information like “password, database username, database password”, you can get this data from step “7”, you’ll also have to create and fill your login admin password.
- In that window, you should provide your database credentials, there’s a small trick here which is getting your database “Host Server”, the easiest way to do so is to return to your application (step 8) and click on the small arrow at the phpMyAdmin tab.
- A new window will popup, copy the number shown in the screenshot below.
- Paste that number in the database host field in the LimeSurvey installation, then in the following step click on the “Populate Database” tab.
- In the following step, you’ve to create your login credentials; username, password, and email.
- You’ll then be directed to the final step of the installation wizard, just click on the “Administration” tab.
- You’ll then be directed to the login window, use the email and password you’ve used in step 16.
Finally, you’ll be directed to your portal main page.
Congratulations, now, you have a fully functional LimeSurvey portal running for free on OpenShift.