OpenDocMan is a free and open source web-based document management system (DMS). OpenDocMan allows its user to quickly and easily create an online portal for documents management (actually any type of file could be uploaded to OpenDocMan) and start administering access and permissions for these files. What is unique about OpenDocMan is that it’s very simple to use just drag and drop files to your installation from your browser.
This guide will present a step by step tutorial on how to install OpenDocMan on OpenShift, the only skill you’ll need during the tutorial is your ability to use a web browser.
- A free OpenShift account, visit OpenShift website and register using your email, no credit card is required.
- After registering; go to OpenShift home page and click on the “MY APPS” on the top of the screen.
- You’ll be directed to your login window and enter your credentials, you’ll be directed to a new window click on the blue “Create your first application now” link.
- You’ll be directed to a window, type “PHP, MySQL” in the search field, and select the application shown below in the screenshot.
- You’ll be directed to a new window, in the public URL; type the name of the project/application name (e.g. OpenDocMan, DocStorage, etc.) in the first space and the domain name (it’s not your real domain name, just any identification name e.g. NickName, YourName) in the second space.
- Under the public URL, there’s the source code slot, just copy and paste the following link “https://github.com/opendocman/opendocman.git”
- Leave everything as it’s and click on “Create Application” tab at the end of the page.
- You shall be directed to a new window where you shall find all of your “MySQL” credentials.
- You’ll be directed to the main window again and it’s time to go to your ” portal” and start the installation process, to do that simply click on the blue link at the top of the screen (that’s your URL).
- You’ll be directed to the “OpenDocMan” installation window, the first window will have a warning message just ignore it and click on the create a configuration file tab.
- You’ll be directed to a new window, where you should enter some information like “password, database username, database password”, you can get this data from step “7”, you’ll also have to create and fill your login admin password.
- In that window, you should provide your database credentials, there’s a small trick here which is getting your database Host Server, the easiest way to do so is to return to your application (step 8) and click on the small arrow at the phpMyAdmin tab.
- A new window will pop up , copy the number shown in the screenshot below.
- Paste that number in the database host field in the OpenDocMan installation, then fill the remaining fields using your database credentials that you can find in your application.
- You’ll then be directed to a new window where you should start the installation, click on “run the installation” tab.
- In this new window; you should install the database, just click on the tab at the bottom of the window.
- You’ll be directed to a new window with your admin username and password, write a note with them and then log into your website again using the link in step 8, you can access the site settings using the “here” link, though that’s not required.
- When you log in again to your portal you’ll be prompted by your admin window which should look like the one below.
Now, you’ve a fully functional OpenDocMan DMS portal running for free on OpenShift.