e107 is a free and open source content management system (CMS) similar to WordPress and Drupal, e107 is easy to use and customize and you don’t need any prior programming skills to build a small web presence using it.
This guide will present a step by step tutorial on how to install e107 on OpenShift, the only skill you’ll need during the tutorial is your ability to use a web browser.
- A free OpenShift account, visit OpenShift website and register using your email, no credit card is required.
- After registering; go to OpenShift home page and click on the “MY APPS” on the top of the screen.
- You’ll be directed to your login window and enter your credentials, you’ll be directed to a new window click on the blue “Create your first application now” link.
- You’ll be directed to a window, type “PHP, MySQL” in the search field, and select the application shown below in the screenshot.
- You’ll be directed to a new window, in the public URL; type the name of the project/application name (e.g. MyBlog, MyAwesomeWebsite, etc.) in the first space and the domain name (it’s not your real domain name, just any identification name e.g. NickName, YourName) in the second space.
- Under the public URL, there’s the source code slot, just copy and paste the following link “https://github.com/e107inc/e107.git”
- Leave everything as it’s and click on “Create Application” tab at the end of the page.
- You shall be directed to a new window where you shall find all of your “MySQL” credentials.
- You’ll be directed to the main window, and it’s time to go to your “portal” and start the installation process, to do that simply click on the blue link at the top of the screen (that’s your URL).
- You’ll be directed to the “e107” installation window, in the first window, you’ll select the language.
- You’ll be directed to the next window, where you should enter some information like “password, database username, database password”, you can get this data from step “7”, you’ll also have to create and fill your login admin password.
- In that window, you should provide your database credentials, there’s a small trick here which is getting your database “Host Server”, the easiest way to do so is to return to your application (step 8) and click on the small arrow at the phpMyAdmin tab.
- A new window will pop up , copy the number shown in the screenshot below.
- Paste that number in the database host field in the e107 installation, then fill the remaining fields using your database credentials that you can find in your application.
- In the following two steps, the installation will check the information you’ve entered in the previous step.
- In the new window after the check; you should enter your admin name, password, and email.
- You’ll be directed to a new window where you should select your website name, choose the theme (a blog or a more generic one) and plugins, select your preferred options and then click continue.
- In the following two steps, the installation will automatically configure your installation.
18. Finally, you’ll be directed to your website main page.
Congratulations, you now have a fully functional e107 website running for free on OpenShift.